Why Did My Electric Stove Catch Fire? Reasons+Solution

Post Disclaimer

We independently review everything we recommend. The information is provided by Why Did My Electric Stove Catch Fire? Reasons+Solution and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we may earn a commission if you buy something through links on our post. Learn more

People always question Why Did My Electric Stove Catch Fire? In most homes, the heat source that ignites the oil is either a gas burner or an electric stove. An electric burner is more likely than a gas flame to ignite hot cooking oil, as has already been stated. The ignition source needs to be hotter than the oil to start the motor.

Electric Stove Catch Fire

Why Did My Electric Stove Catch Fire?

Misuse, such as leaving something on a hot cooktop that shouldn’t be there, and malfunctioning electrical circuits or components are the most likely causes of fires on an Electric Stove. Induction hobs have mainly replaced electric stoves in recent years. However, if you have a single electric burner, you’ll be OK as long as you utilize it properly.

Preventing Stove Explosions With An Electric Stove

Overheating and electrical fires might result if food isn’t properly cooked after 20 minutes on the highest setting in the oven. Before they have a chance to cool and harden, always mop up spills immediately (they can become electrically charged when dry).

When pulling a pot or pan from an electric stove, be sure you have at least one hand on the handle. To prevent electrical fires from unattended stoves, turn off all cooking equipment before leaving the house or going to sleep.

It’s important to avoid allowing grease to accumulate on cooking surfaces like the top of the range, the cooktop, the broiler, or the microwave so that it doesn’t ignite. Always wait for cleaners to dry completely before putting them in direct contact with any source of ignition, including hot elements that may still be present in the stain.

  • When using microwaves, make sure to inspect the food frequently for signs of melting plastic
  • Unattended cooking of food on an electric stove should not be done at high heat settings.
  • Watch out for kitchen towels and other flammable things near the stove.
  • Research the stove’s energy and safety ratings thoroughly before purchasing one.

Buy A Stove With These Considerations In Mind

If you do your homework, you can locate a more efficient and safer electric stove. Consider how much money you’ll save on your utility bills and how much pollution you’ll avoid if you choose a stove with a greater efficiency rating than others. As tempting as it may be at first to buy a cheap model, remember that cheap wiring and plastic components may catch fire from overheating, resulting in a fire.

Electric Stoves Are Notoriously Slow To Catch Fire

Well, that is contingent upon determining what started the fire in the first place. However, if there is an electrical malfunction due to defective wiring or overloaded circuit breakers, the electric stove can catch fire within seconds of being left on and unattended.

Appliances that are plugged into a wall, such as a microwave or a refrigerator, can produce sparks when in operation since they share power sources. Remember that the kitchen is one of the most flammable places in your house, so use caution when preparing meals there.

How To Put Out A Fire In Your Electric Stove?

For safety’s sake, turn off your electric oven immediately if it starts to smoke or catch fire, even if you have to do it at the main breaker/switch. In order to put out a tiny fire, you’ll want to utilize an inhaler. For larger fires, evacuate the area and call 911. Never use water to put out a grease fire in a pan on the stove.

As a result, this is not only ineffectual, but it can make things worse if any liquid spills over into any electrical lines or cable. Professionals should be called in quickly to inspect and replace any burnt-out appliances, bulbs, and fuses.

This will ensure that no other appliances are affected by heat or power surges. For your safety, don’t change or inspect them unless you’re qualified, and make sure the replacements are of excellent quality as well low voltage bulbs can cause fires because their wattage isn’t sufficient to maintain heating elements like those used in ovens.

Can An Electric Stove Catch Fire?

As with toasters, toaster ovens, and other electrical equipment that might overheat, gas and electric stoves can start fires; use your appliances according to the instructions.

Can Oil Catch Fire On An Electric Stove?

This ignition source is typically your gas burner or electric stove at home, which is the heat source that is heating the oil. As was already established, a gas flame is less likely than an electric burner to ignite hot frying oil. The oil must be a little more desirable than the ignition source.

What To Do If An Electrical Appliance Catches Fire?

Baking soda can be used to put out a fire; it is a common household item. Baking soda can cover the smoldering area and prevent oxygen from reaching the flames.


Here we conclude all about Why Did My Electric Stove Catch Fire? Despite the rarity of electric stove fires, those who possess one must be well-versed in the causes, prevention methods, and emergency procedures for such explosions. When something doesn’t seem to be operating as it should, don’t hesitate to call in a specialist.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can a fire start on an electric stovetop?

Yes. All electrical appliances and devices can overheat and catch fire, even electric stoves. Electrical products commonly catch fire due to short circuits or big spikes in voltage.

What is the unknown frequency with which electric stoves catch on fire?

47 percent of kitchen fires, 20 percent of civilian deaths, and 45 percent of injuries are caused by unattended cooking equipment. Electric stoves are 2.5 times more likely to start a fire than gas stoves, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Every 24 seconds, a fire breaks out in a home in the United States.

How many stove fires occur each year?

Two out of every five house fires are started in the kitchen while the meal is being made. Cooking fires are both common and devastating. They are responsible for 44 percent of all home fires, 15 percent of all home fire deaths, and 38 percent of all home fire injuries.

Is an electric oven safe?

The heating elements of electric ovens are prone to failure, resulting in sparks and, ultimately, a fire. To avoid a problem, keep your oven in good working order at all times. It’s a good idea to have the oven inspected if you have any suspicions that there may be a problem.

Similar Posts